While here at Witter Towbars we have designed and manufactured the strongest towbar for your vehicle and tested it to its very limit. However if it isn't used or cared for correctly there could be some damage caused to your towbar. We want to help you keep towing for as long as possible without coming across any hiccups along the road... that's why we've put together some tips on how to keep your towbar is perfect towing condition.
After 500 miles of towing and thereafter every year inspect your Towbar and:
• Re-torque all fixings to the values specified - these can be found on the installation instructions for you towbar which will have been supplied in the towbar box or given to you by your fitter. Don't worry if you don't have them anymore you can always get in contact with us and we will be able to send you a copy of them to you!
• Repair any damage to the paint finish - While Witter utilises the most modern and comprehensive pre-treatment and painting systems to keep your paint finish as clean as possible, however the Towbar is subject to an extremely harsh environment due to it being located 'under body'. Therefore we suggest additional coatings where needed to help protect the core metal.
• Replace any damaged components - if you do have any damages to your towbar Witter replacements can be purchased through ourselves or the stockist/fitter who fit the bar for you.
If you do not have a torque wrench then these are readily available, especially in automotive, DIY and machinery stores and are relatively inexpensive and is a real safety investment.
While some damages can be caused due to lack of care of the towbar the following circumstances are likely to cause harm to your Towbar through inappropriate use and we suggest if your towbar has been put under any of the following circumstances it is checked over by a local towbar garage to ensure it is still safe for towing!
• If the vehicle on which the Towbar is installed is involved in an accident, incident or collision with another vehicle or object.
• If for any reason (either directly or indirectly) an abnormal load is applied to the Towbar.
• If the Towbar has been damaged, misused or neglected.
• If any changes, modifications or repairs have been carried out to the Towbar or any of its components without the prior consent of Witter Towbars.
• If the Towbar is transferred to another vehicle.