The Witter Lifetime Guarantee
All towbars purchased directly from Witter Towbars (or an recommended supplier) ("Towbars") come with a Lifetime Guarantee, in accordance with the terms set out below (the "Guarantee"). If you have any queries in relation to the Lifetime Guarantee, you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Quality Standards
All Witter Towbars are designed and manufactured to meet and exceed the requirements of 94/20/EC as well as Regulation 55 and are produced within a quality system conforming to ISO 9001-2000.
2. Statutory Guarantee – first 6 months from Delivery
If you discover a fault with your Towbar and inform us about it during the first 6 months from delivery of your Towbar you have certain rights under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. These rights will apply if any fault in the materials or workmanship of your Towbar means that your Towbar is not of satisfactory quality, or does not conform to specification. In these circumstances we will repair or replace your Towbar (or the relevant part) free of charge and we will also pay your reasonable postage costs within the UK of returning the Towbar to us. However, if the costs to Witter Towbars of repairing or replacing your Towbar are disproportionately high then we may choose to refund the price of your Towbar, or part of the price reflecting the cost to you of the fault, instead.
3. The Lifetime Guarantee – after the first 6 months from Delivery
If you discover a fault with your Towbar and inform us about it after the first 6 months from delivery, your Towbar will be covered by the Lifetime Guarantee for the lifetime of the Towbar, subject to the conditions and exclusions described in this Guarantee.
The Lifetime Guarantee will only apply for as long as the vehicle remains in the ownership of the individual who purchased the Towbar or who first had the Towbar fitted (if not the purchaser). The Lifetime Guarantee cannot be transferred to subsequent owners of the vehicle. Subject to the Towbar being used and cared for as set out in this Guarantee, Witter Towbars will replace or repair free of charge any parts of your Towbar which are faulty because of materials or workmanship during the lifetime of your Towbar. We will also pay your reasonable postage charges within the UK of returning the Towbar to Witter Towbars.
Detachable towballs purchased directly from Witter Towbars (or a recommended supplier) ("Towballs") are guaranteed for two years from date of purchase as long as the vehicle remains in the ownership of the individual who purchased the Towbar or who first had the Towbar fitted (if not the purchaser). This guarantee may be extended to three years if the Towball is registered with us within 12 weeks from purchase as described below in paragraph 7. If a Towball has not been registered online proof of purchase must be produced to Witter Towbars in form of a purchasing receipt, invoice or installation documentation. This guarantee cannot be transferred to subsequent owners of the vehicle. For the avoidance of doubt the Lifetime Guarantee does not apply to Towballs.
Cycle Carriers purchased directly from Witter Towbars (or an recommended supplier) are covered under a warranty of three years from delivery against manufacturing defect as long as the cycle carrier remains in the ownership of the individual who purchased the carrier. Proof of purchase must be produced to Witter Towbars in form of a purchasing receipt, invoice or installation documentation. The warranty cannot be transferred to subsequent owners of the cycle carrier. For the avoidance of doubt the Lifetime Guarantee does not apply to cycle carriers.
The new ZX500 range of cycle carriers is further covered by a THREE (3) YEAR LIMITED MANUFACTURER WARRANTY ("Limited Warranty") of which the details can be found here: Warranty information ZX500 Range of Cycle Carriers.
4. Use and Care of Towbar
While Witter Towbars willingly takes responsibility for its materials and workmanship, you could damage your Towbar by failing to use or care for your Towbar correctly. Therefore, your Towbar will only be covered by the Lifetime Guarantee if you have used and cared for your Towbar correctly in accordance with the use and care requirements which are set out in the rest of clause 4 below.
The vehicle application is stated on the installation instructions provided with your Towbar. However, due to the constantly changing model and vehicle specifications Witter Towbars cannot guarantee that the Towbar is suitable for every model variant, especially those not originally intended for the UK market. If you are in any doubt about installation of your Towbar, please call the Witter Technical Department for advice before commencing installation .
The following points must be observed during installation:
• Your Towbar must be installed in accordance with our installation instructions, unless you have been advised otherwise by the Witter Technical Department. You are responsible for ensuring that the installation instructions are suitable for your vehicle.
• Your Towbar must be installed by a recommended fitter. Witter Towbars recognises the NTTA CE approval as demonstrating the required level of competence. Other certifications may also demonstrate the required level of competence and we recommend that if you contact the Witter Technical Department to verify the certifications of your installer.
• At the time of installation the mounting points and adjacent areas of your vehicle must be free of corrosion or pre-existing damage.
• Unless stated otherwise in the installation instructions all fasteners must be tightened to the following torque settings:
Grade 8.8 bolts: M8 - 24Nm, M10 - 52 Nm, M12 - 80 Nm, M14 - 130 Nm, M16 - 200 Nm Grade 10.9: M12 – 120Nm, M10 – 70Nm M8- 35Nm
• Any Towball or coupling device fitted to your Towbar must have a 'D' and 'S' value either greater than or equal to that of the Towbar, or have a part number as specified in the installation instructions.
Towbars that are faulty or have been damaged due to incorrect or faulty installation will not be covered by the Lifetime Guarantee. Towbars that have not been installed by a recommended fitter will not be covered by the Lifetime Guarantee.
4B. Paint Finish
Since 2006, Witter Towbars has used a polyester resin powder coat finish which benefits little from additional coating. Where any further paint coatings are to be applied we recommend that you test any coating on a small unexposed area of the Towbar before painting the entire Towbar.
The Towbar is subject to an extremely harsh environment due to it being located 'under body'. Due to the high potential of stone chips, exhaust fume build up etc; Witter Towbars cannot offer any guarantee on how long the Towbar will remain free from rust. However, Witter utilises the most modern and comprehensive pre-treatment and painting systems to ensure that the Towbar will remain rust free for the maximum period.
After 500 miles of towing and thereafter every year you must inspect your Towbar and:
• Re-torque all fixings to the values specified on the installation instructions.
• Repair any damage to the paint finish.
• Replace any damaged components. Only genuine Witter parts may be used in order to benefit from the Lifetime Guarantee.
4D. Inappropriate Use/Care
The following circumstances are likely to cause harm to your Towbar through inappropriate use or care and will have the result that your Towbar is not covered by this Guarantee (unless covered under paragraph 2 above):
• If the vehicle on which the Towbar is installed is involved in an accident, incident or collision with another vehicle or object.
• If for any reason (either directly or indirectly) an abnormal load is applied to the Towbar.
• If the Towbar has been damaged, misused or neglected.
• If any changes, modifications or repairs have been carried out to the Towbar or any of its components without the prior written consent of Witter Towbars.
• If the Towbar is transferred to another vehicle.
5. Warranty against Theft
Witter Towbars does not offer any type of warranty against theft. The locks on Witter Cycle Carriers and detachable towbar necks are designed to deter vandalism and theft. Detachable necks, cycle carriers and other property should be removed from the vehicle when it is unattended for any extended period or not in use to prevent any situation that may provide an opportunity for theft or vandalism. We do recommend that you check with either your vehicle insurance or homeowners/renters insurance to see if the rack is covered.
6. Statutory Rights
This Guarantee does not confer any rights other than those expressly set out above and does not cover any claim for indirect or consequential loss or damage. Nothing in this Guarantee in intended to limit or exclude the liability of Witter Towbars for anything which it is not permitted to exclude or limit under English law.
This Guarantee is offered as an extra benefit to and does not affect your statutory rights.
If you register this Guarantee with us we will be able to provide you with a better service and easily ascertain that you are entitled to the benefits of this Guarantee. Please register: http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cust/towbarReg.php.
Note: It is a requirement of the warranty that the Towbar fitter or supplier ensures that this warranty information is completed and handed to the vehicle owner, together with any other installation and usage data supplied with the Towbar.