Free UK Delivery
Nationwide Mobile Fitting
Enter your reg to find a towbar
What is a Retractable Towbar?
A retractable towbar can be easily folded away under the bumper when it is not in use. Offering the same advantages as a detachable towbar, the simple precision rotation mechanism means that a retractable towbar takes seconds to hide away or prepare for use. This type of towbar can be wired into your vehicle’s electrical system and is operated at the touch of a button. Featuring a 13pin electric socket connector and a breakaway cable attachment point, a retractable towbar can tow trailers, caravans and boats and is also compatible with a majority of cycle carriers. With a swan-shaped neck, the tow ball doesn’t need to be stored separately when folded away, as this too is concealed underneath the bumper.
What are the Benefits of a Retractable Towbar?
- When not in use, it can be folded away out of sight in a matter of seconds
- Unlike a detachable towbar, you do not have to remove the neck so there is no chance of losing it
- It doesn't interfere with parking sensors or restrict access to the boot of your vehicle
- It is compatible with AL-KO stabilisers
- The towbar and electrics come in one box ready for installation. It is easy to install and doesn't take much longer than other types of towbar
Should I Buy a Retractable Towbar?
There are a few disadvantages to consider if you are thinking about purchasing a retractable towbar. Firstly, it doesn’t have the capability to tow and carry bikes at the same time, unlike a fixed flange towbar. Secondly, it is only available for a limited number of vehicles at the moment, so you’ll need to check if a retractable towbar is an option.
As you might expect, it is also more expensive. But, it beautifully combines functionality and convenience making it the perfect ‘in-between’ option, especially for newer car models.